cst348 - week 6
This week we focused on unit and system testing. Writing these tests changed how I think about projects. Id previously assumed most effort would be focused into writing the logic for a project followed by testing as a smaller task at the end but working through these unit tests and the Selenium system test showed testing takes just as much effort to perform successfully. A well tested feature often has as much to it as implementation code. At one point I spent some time debugging a multi dialog DOM ambiguity issue in AssignmentViews, a bug that never showed up just from reading and normally running the code, only from testing it properly.
This weeks lecture talk about needing more tests than you'd expect which also clicked once I saw unit and system tests side by side. My mocked unit tests were fast to write and good for edge cases, like an instructor trying to access another instructor's roster. But they couldn't tell me the pieces actually worked together. Only the system test running through real navigation and data could confirm that.
Comments
Post a Comment